I made only one official New Year’s resolution last year, which was to lose 30 pounds. Considering the time-worn tradition of making such laughable resolutions and not following through, I figured I’d aim high.
It took me until June to actually attempt to start, so I was off to a good start. However, by October, I was pretty much done. I’ve gained about 3 pounds back from my low, but as of this time last year, I weighed about 210lbs, and I’m at 178 today.
2015 was, by many measures, a year I can only describe with a great deal of profanity, and I will be pleased to see it consigned to to the toilet bowl of history. In that spirit, I have compiled a new list of resolutions for the coming year. We’ll check back in a year to see how I did.
- Only wildly overspend and fret over the perfect gift for people who will appreciate it. Do all the rest of my shopping at the dollar store.
I am notorious for overspending on my significant other, even when they do not reciprocate. Now that my significant other is significantly less significant, I need to stop doing that, because they are significantly underspending now.
- Keep my friends close, and keep my enemies out of my business. Social media interactions with people I know in real life are being culled to a segment of people who a) want to continue to be linked to me and b) haven’t tried to stick a knife in my back over the last few months.
- Lose the last 10 or so pounds I need to lose. Getting to 168 would put me into ‘average weight’ on the BMI chart, which I know is complete nonsense, but it will make me feel better about myself.
- Work this ball of flab into some semblance of shape. Despite losing 30 pounds, I am still not what one would consider all that attractive in the midsection. Flatter, to be sure, but still quite slug-like.
- Write at least one blog post a month here. Because I need to get back to writing.
That’s it. I’m working on becoming a better human being, but that’s always going to be a work in progress with little in the way of quantifiable success. These are solid goals.
So, as it says at the top of the page, Slàinte Mhath, and a happy New Year.